Thursday, January 26, 2012

How to Keep the Left Arm Straight Once and for All

At the range the other day, I ran into a neighbor who happened to be taking a golf lesson from one of the best local golf gurus, Julieta Stack. I went over to say hello, and started chatting. My neighbor said she used to play field hockey, so I assumed she would pick up golf easily since she was used to swinging a stick along the ground.

“Actually,” Julieta said, “field hockey and squash players are the hardest to teach. They’re used to too much wrist-flicking action.”

I told her I was having trouble maintaining my wrist hinge and keeping my left arm straight.

“Can I show you something real quick?” she said. 

Now when a golf teacher asks if she can show you something, you say yes. It’s like getting a lesson for free. “Yes, of course,” I said.

“Grip your club,” she said. 
 I gripped my club with the head still touching the ground.

“Okay, now raise your club in front of you and stick the butt of the shaft away from you.” 

I did as I was told. The weight of the club head made my arms automatically straighten to keep the club from falling over. As my left palm pressed outward to push the butt of the club shaft away, my left arm stiffened out of reflex.
   
“Feel that?” she said.
 I nodded and smiled.
“Then just hold that and take your set-up,” she said. 

It was definitely an “aha” moment. Those are the kinds of golf tips I like best -- the kind that gets your body to do the right thing without having to think about it. Whenever I feel my left arm breaking down and need to remind myself how to keep it straight, this drill will definitely come in handy.

Thank you, Julieta!

No comments:

Post a Comment