Thursday, March 10, 2016

An Early Start

Planks, wood chops, bench squats, band walks, Supermans. Events in a superhero lumberjack contest? No, these are the names of exercises my personal trainer has me doing every week. Since January, I've been hitting the gym and doing golf-specific strength training with a guy who is half my age and has a -3 handicap. (That's a negative handicap, i.e. better than scratch.) Every session is a different series of exercises to build up core and upper body strength. The result? I feel stronger. Not quite strong enough to flip over a car, but strong enough to swing a golf club a little faster without hurting myself.

Because the weather has been unseasonably nice in the last two weeks, in the 70s. I've already played 9 holes twice, walking with a cart. The first time I didn't score but I did make 2 pars. The second time, I shot 10 over 9 holes, which is not a bad start for me. I think I may have even gained a bit of distance, thanks to all the wood chop exercises. I'm still not sure I want to keep a handicap again this year. I plan on playing twice a week max so I don't overstress my elbow like I did last year. That old tendon flared up a little on these early outings, but as long as I use a compression band and don't overwork it, hopefully it will hold up. I've really been focusing on getting my right hand more active to prevent stressing out the left forearm.

I think I'll be ready to play 18 holes this weekend. Temps are forecast to be in the mid 60s, and there might be a bit of rain. But let's hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment