Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Streamsong Resort Part 3: Streamsong Red and the Bye Hole

The next morning, hubby and I woke up early so we could have breakfast at the clubhouse before our morning round at Streamsong Red. It was a Friday, and the clubhouse seemed busy with golfers preparing to go out. Hubby and I were still debating whether to hire a caddie or a forecaddie, the difference being that a caddie carries bags while a forecaddie does not. Either way, we were only going to hire one person. I didn't want a personal caddy again, but I did feel we needed someone who could guide us around the course. Generally, the Streamsong Red course encircles Streamsong Blue but we noticed the day before that the holes are so subtly marked, it could be very easy to get lost out there.

We ended up hiring a forecaddie and renting pull-carts. The starter kept calling the pull-carts "rickshaws," which I thought was odd, until I realized that the pull-cart's brand name is Riksha. They have huge wheels and a light frame and were pretty easy to use, although they don't look like they'd fold down easily to fit in a car trunk, in case I wanted to buy one to use at home.

When we requested a forecaddie, I told the pro shop staffer to make sure not to give us Matt again. Erik was already booked, so I was a little nervous about who our forecaddie would be. I wish I'd read about what to expect from a caddie before the trip, but I had quickly learned from playing Streamsong Blue that ideally the guy should have experience and a good sense of humor. Equal parts tour guide, coach and cheerleader.

Our forecaddie was Geno, a friendly and wise professional who had not only men's tour experience, but once caddied for an LPGA pro.


This guy had a really chill vibe about him. You could tell he loved golf and enjoyed helping golfers play their best. He pointed out interesting features of the landscape, and did a cool trick on Hole 5. If you get Geno as a caddie or forecaddie, ask him about it.


It was overcast the day we played, and I was determined to play better than the day before.


There seemed to be more water in play on Streamsong Red.


Fairways seemed wider on the Blue course, leaving me with the sense of almost too many options. 


On the Red course, either I was more focused or the course focused me, with narrower fairways and hazards dictating a more specific strategy.


But the Red course has the same unique topography and overall feel as the Blue course.


At times it felt like you might be stumbling upon some archaeological discovery, if it weren't for the flagstick off in the distance. 


This time, I carried my own scorecard and used my laser rangefinder to get yardages on my own. Hubby and I used the pull-carts but Geno usually took care of them from each putting green to the next hole. I relied on Geno mainly for course knowledge. I found that having a caddie or forecaddie is really useful for letting you know about hidden trouble on the fairway. Or when a putting green is too far to see clearly, they can warn you about false fronts and drop-offs so you'll know whether it's better to miss short or long, right or left. Geno also gave great putting advice. He pointed out breaks I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I made four pars on the front nine, thanks to Geno.


Of course, sometimes I couldn't always execute the shots Geno suggested. For example, he couldn't save me from an errant shot into this enormous bunker. I think it took at least two shots to get out. Between me and hubby, our caddies sure earned their dough raking bunkers.


Because of that bunker, I double-bogeyed the 9th. But I rallied at the turn and birdied the 10th, a par 4. I think Geno was proud of me.


We were actually playing with another twosome, two doctors from New York. 


They each had their own caddies too, so there were a total of seven people on any given hole.


The doctors were self-described "weekend players," but they seemed to enjoy themselves, even though I was "smoking them," as Geno put it. But how could you not feel bliss with views like this, (even if it is a scary par 3 over water)?


Which, by the way, I parred.


Like a boss.


On the last few holes, the sun made an effort to come out. The way the light played in the clouds made me feel like I was in a strange kind of heaven.


I really hope heaven has a golf course.


In the end, I shot a 92. If you've been reading my blog lately, you'll know I ended the season in kind of a slump. So this was the first time I'd shot in the low 90s for awhile. I considered it an end to my slump. I couldn't ask for a better souvenir from Streamsong.


After the round, Geno pointed out the Bye hole, the 37th hole at Streamsong. A bye hole is usually used to assess a golfer's skill at the beginning of a round, or to settle bets and wagers afterwards. The Streamsong Bye hole is near the clubhouse, at the start of the golf courses. Since we'd already finished 18, we were on the other side of the tunnel leading back to the first tee. The bag attendants had already started unloading our clubs from the pull-carts, so Geno told us to grab a 105-yard club and a putter and he'd drive us back through the tunnel to the Bye hole. I brought my 7 and 8 irons, plus my putter and my laser rangefinder.


It turned out that the Bye hole was 82 yards from the gold tees. It was over water, so I hit an easy 8-iron and the result was just fine. Hubby wedged his shot much closer, but we both made par.


Looking back, it was a great experience. I'll forever remember Streamsong Red for breaking my slump, and playing a Bye hole was a fitting end to another golfy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment