Monday, September 3, 2012

T. Rex Golf Tip

Reunited the foursome last week – Seri, Bea, Debbie Harry and me – and it was great to see how everyone had improved. That morning, I had just read an article in the latest issue of Golf Magazine where Davis Love III explains his 9 best moves. The tips were all fundamental -- keep your head behind the ball, start with your weight on a flexed right leg, keep your left arm long on the takeway -- but they were great reminders. One picture of Mr. Love reminded me of a right triangle, with his head at the vertex angle lined up almost on top of his right foot at the base.

I kept these basic in mind as I teed off throughout the round, and lo and behold, Big Bopper is back! Out of 11 countable drives (excluding par 3s and one par 4 that I pulled into the trees), my driving average was 177 yards, with none shorter than 165 and the longest one going 200 yards. Maybe it was the drier conditions allowing for more bounce and roll, but I like to think it’s my technique. I kept my left arm nice and long all the way back and through. It felt like the way you would swing a sledge hammer if you were going to hit a gong.

So, with apologies to T. Rex, here was my swing thought that day:

Keep arms long…
Bang a gong…
Get it on!


Of course, I still only shot a 98 for the round. That's because my putting still sucks. Gotta work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment